Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Old World Bread


Old World Bread
 
I got this recipe from a friend who used it with home ground wheat flour. Very good.
Here is the original recipe the way it was given to me. 


3 1/2 cups flour (1/2 can be whole wheat)
2 teaspoons non iodized salt
1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
Stir with fingers.

Add 1 1/2 cups non-chlorinated water
Stir with a wooden spoon.

Cover and let sit at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours, the longer the better.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Form loaf and place in roaster/dutch oven sprinkled with cornmeal.
Cover and cook 30 minutes.
Uncover and cook 10-15 minutes more.



What I did.
After the dough sat on the counter overnight in a covered bowl I found it was a bit sticky so I used a few Tablespoons of flour around the edges so I could get it out of the bowl and then I formed it on a parchment covered baking sheet and slashed the top. Covered it again for an hour and let it rise.

I placed the bread in a 400 degree preheated oven and set the timer for 30 minutes.


Which was perfect.


I love the idea of making the dough the night before and I think I will try to get more into that habit so there is fresh bread in the morning instead of just for dinner. Please tell me what you think.

Peace, Kirsten






 Sustainable Sanctuary 


No comments:

Post a Comment