Sunday, January 11, 2015

Dry Onion Soup Mix



Dry Onion Soup
and The Farm 







I have been a "from scratch" girl since I began cooking. I was raised by my grandparents who lived through the depression and that made an imprint on their daily responses to life.

To the right is a picture of My Grandparents: Mary and Seymour.

The Great Depression era can be divided into two parts. The initial decline lasted from mid-1929 to mid-1931. Around mid-1931, there was a change in people’s expectations about the future of the economy. This fear of reduced future income coupled by the Fed’s deflationary monetary policy resulted in a Mundell–Tobin effect. This further depressed the economy until Roosevelt stepped into office in 1933 and ended the gold standard, thereby ending the deflationary policy.

One of imprints was a "make it yourself" attitude.
In my recent daily living I have come across a lot of recipes requiring Onion Soup Powder. My day to day quest to "live closer to the vine" thought process doesn't let me "buy" this type of product. I would love to tell you this is my Grandmothers recipe but it isn't, I will share some of Grandmas recipes as we go along. I have gone through recipes and adapted them into the following one:


1 cup dried minced onions
6 Tablespoons Chicken Bouillon (the original recipes use beef, feel free to do that)
2 Tablespoons (or 2 wrapped squares) Chicken Tomato Bouillon
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper.


Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Making sure all of the bouillon chunks are broken up and incorporated with the other ingredients. Pour into a half pint jar and cover. Makes almost 1 1/2 cups.

The purchased Onion Soup Mix envelopes contains 4 ounces of mix. A slightly heaping Tablespoon of this mix is about one half ounce. I would probably use 7 to 8 Tablespoon to a recipe calling for one envelope.



Most of the recipes I have seen lately are calling for one Tablespoon of the mix, which would leave an open envelope in your cupboard. Aren't you glad you put this in a nice tightly covered jar?








Kirsten Mia


Photos by Kirsten Hughes Photography

3 comments:

  1. Great Recipe... good on a venison roast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this homemade recipe for onion soup mix, I use it in so many dishes and dips. Since going gluten free and needing to maintain a low sodium diet, this recipe is a life saver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Myrna, I think I am going to make this recipe again and use the vegetable base... wouldn't that be good!

    ReplyDelete